Terms and Conditions of Service
The interactive components on this website are intended for members to engage in an exchange of information about a diverse range of topics, to share their stories and to ask questions.
You acknowledge that the views of members posting queries, comments or statements on this website are not necessarily our views, and are not necessarily endorsed by us.
You are solely responsible for your own communications, the consequences of posting those communications, and your reliance on any communications found within the interactive components of this website.
You acknowledge that divergent points of view provide for vigorous and refreshing debate amongst members, and while you may not always agree with another member's opinion, it is courteous to remember that each member is entitled to their own point of view.
You must not use the interactive components to engage in any illegal activity, any civil wrong or tort or any other activity that may cause loss or damage to another person.
You agree to indemnify us in relation to any loss or damage incurred by us and any liability to a third party that accrues to us as a result of any use by you of the interactive components of this website which is in contravention of these Member Terms.
Without limiting the activities which may be prohibited by these Member Terms by virtue of them constituting offences against criminal or civil laws, you must not post any material (including images, graphics, video, posts or any other content) to this website that:
- makes a false or misleading representation or constitutes misleading or deceptive conduct;
- constitutes a breach of copyright or another intellectual property right;
- contravenes a suppression order or constitutes a contempt of Court or Parliament;
- constitutes a breach of confidentiality or contract;
- incites or counsels any person to commit a criminal offence or constitutes a breach of public order;
- is deliberately inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, obscene, profane, inappropriately sexually oriented, threatening or constitutes harassment;
- contains expletives or foul language; or
- contravenes classifications, discrimination, privacy or anti-vilification laws or laws restricting or governing political advertising.
In addition, you must not use the interactive components of this website for commercial purposes.
Journalists, researchers, students and other similar users, must identify themselves as such when using the interactive components of the website for journalistic and research (or similar) purposes. You must also obtain permission from each user before using any data collected for such purpose.
You can only post under your own username and you must not utilise this website in any manner by which you purport to be someone else. Remember also that this website is a public place, so you should not post personal information that you would not be comfortable sharing with a stranger. We recommend that you use only your first name or a pseudonym as your username and that you don’t post any information that may identify you or anyone else (such as your address, email address or phone number). If you are under 18 years of age, you should obtain the consent of your parent or guardian prior to registering as a member.
At all times, you should maintain an awareness that a range of people (from different backgrounds, of varying ages, with diverse skill levels and with differing levels of familiarity with the topics being discussed), will be reading and posting to the interactive components of the website. In order to facilitate discussion, please only use English in your posts.
By agreeing to these Members Terms, you also acknowledge that all material posted to the interactive components of this website may be read by a moderator. We reserve the right to remove any post that contravenes these Member Terms or which the moderators (in their sole discretion) consider to be inappropriate for inclusion on the website. This may be done without any prior notice to the person who has contributed that post. We further reserve the right to suspend or cancel the registration of any member who contravenes these Member Terms.
You acknowledge that the contents interactive components of this website are not intended to be, nor should they be construed or relied upon to provide or seek medical (including mental health) advice. If you require such advice or assistance, you should contact a health professional.
You may request cancellation of your registration with the website at any time. By doing so, you understand and agree that we may retain your personal information for up to six months from the date of your request and that all activity associated with your account that was generated prior to the date of your cancellation request will remain permanently on the Website (for example, your posts in the interactive components will not be deleted).
In these Member Terms, "we" and "us" refers to the Highland LGBT Forum, Scottish Charity Number SC039528, and any person we employ in relation to the management or moderation of this website, and "our" has a similar meaning.
By registering, and participating in the interactive components of the website, you agree that these terms and conditions ("Member Terms") will apply to your use. These Member Terms apply to any interactive components that may be implemented on the website. All of these features are comprised in the term "interactive components" in these Member Terms.
We may change these Member Terms at any time without notice. Any amendment will be effective immediately. Your continued use of the website after any amendment constitutes an agreement by you to comply with, and be bound by, the amended Member Terms. Accordingly, you should access and read the Member Terms from time to time for changes.
Online Community Rules
The following Online Community Rules will also apply if you register as a user of this website. Registration enables you to contribute to the interactive components on this website.
Regardless of whether you register, your use of this website constitutes acknowledgement that the views of members posting queries, comments or statements on this website are not necessarily our views, and are not necessarily endorsed by us.
If you have a complaint about any of the content that may be published on this website, you should contact us.
We rely on all members to help keep the website a safe place for people to share and view information.
To do this, we request that all members comply with the following rules, when using any of the website’s interactive components:
- Be courteous and respectful. Appreciate that others may have an opinion different from yours.
- Stay on topic. When creating a new discussion thread, give a clear topic title and put your post in the appropriate category. When contributing to an existing discussion, try to stay 'on topic'. If something new comes up within a topic that you would like to discuss, start a new thread.
- Share your knowledge. Don't hold back in sharing your knowledge – it's likely someone will find it useful or interesting. When you give information or links, provide your sources.
- Keep it safe. Remember that the forums are public places. Don't post personal information that you would not be comfortable sharing with a stranger. We recommend you use only your first name or a pseudonym in your username and that you don't post any information that may identify you or anyone else, such as your address, email address or phone number.
- Report abuse. A strong online community is self-governing. If you see abuse, report it to us using the ‘report post’ button on the forums.
We maintain the right to remove posts
We need to make sure that material posted on any of the website’s interactive components is not potentially harmful. For this reason, we may edit or choose not to publish any post, avatar or display name that:
- contains disrespectful or derogatory remarks about any other person;
- contains advice or content that we believe is damaging, unhelpful or distressing to others;
- is nonsensical and/or irrelevant;
- promotes personal beliefs in a way that is disrespectful of the choices of others;
- infringes the privacy of individuals or service providers;
- is racist, sexist, misogynistic, xenophobic, homophobic, transphobic, bi-phobic, sexually explicit or suggestive, abusive or otherwise discriminatory or objectionable;
- advertises products, services, events or research;
- advertises or seeks medical (including mental health) advice;
- includes personal information such as full names, phone numbers, locations, postal or email addresses; or encourages the sharing of such details;
- describes or encourages violence or other activity which could endanger the safety or wellbeing of others;
contains references to suicide, self-harm or sexual abuse.
Our moderators have the ability to intervene when these Rules have been breached. However, due to the dynamic nature and potential volume of posts, we can't immediately read everything written – therefore much of the responsibility for maintaining our friendly environment lies with you.
To the extent permitted by law, we will in no way be liable to you or anyone else for any loss or damage, however caused (and whether direct, indirect, consequential or economic) which may be directly or indirectly suffered in connection with use of this website or websites of other entities which are hyperlinked from this website (“Linked Websites”).
This general disclaimer is not restricted or modified by any of the following specific warnings and disclaimers.
Specific warnings and disclaimers
The information contained on this website is provided by us in good faith and on an 'as is' basis. The information is believed to be accurate and current as at the date the information was placed on this website. We make no representation or warranty as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of the information contained on this website, or that your use of this website will be uninterrupted or error free. You should not act on the basis of anything contained on this website without first obtaining professional advice specific to your circumstances. You must make your own assessment of the information contained on this website and, if you choose to rely on it, it is wholly at your own risk.
We are not liable to you or anyone else if interference with or damage to your computer systems occurs in connection with your use of this website or a Linked Website. You must take your own precautions to ensure that whatever you select for your use from this website is free of viruses or anything else (such as worms or trojan horses) that may interfere with or damage the operations of your computer systems.
We may, from time to time, change or add to this website without notice. However, we do not undertake to keep this website updated and we will not be liable to you or anyone else if errors occur in the information on this website or if that information is not up-to-date.
To the extent permitted by applicable law, all implied conditions, representations, warranties and other terms are excluded. You must ensure that your access to this website is not illegal or prohibited by laws which apply to you or in your location.
Your use of this Website
- use this website to defame, abuse, harass, stalk, threaten or otherwise offend any person;
- publish, distribute, email, transmit or disseminate any material which is unlawful, obscene, defamatory, indecent, offensive or inappropriate;
- use any automated scripting tools or software;
- engage in or promote any third party surveys, contests, pyramid schemes, chain letters, unsolicited emailing or spamming via the website;
- impersonate any other person or entity;
- upload, post, email, transmit or otherwise make available using the website any material that you do not have a right to make available or which contains viruses, or other computer codes, files or programs designed to interrupt, limit or destroy the functionality of other computer software or hardware or to utilise other computer systems for improper purposes or without authorization.
Unless otherwise acknowledged, all material on this website, including (but not limited to) text, graphics, information architecture and coding, is our property. All copyright is reserved.
You are provided with access to this website and may download, store in cache, display, print or make a single copy of the information or material stored on this website (in its unaltered form) for your personal and non-commercial use only. Except for these purposes and for the purposes of and subject to the conditions prescribed under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 you may not, in any form or by any means:
- adapt, reproduce, store, distribute, transmit, print, display, perform, publish or create derivative works from any part of this website; or
- commercialize any information, products or services obtained from any part of this website, without our written permission.
If you wish to make any other use of the material on this website, you must obtain our permission before doing so. To ask for permission or for further information, please contact us.
This website may contain links to Linked Websites. Those links are provided for convenience only and may not remain current or be maintained. We have no control over or rights in any Linked Website that is not our own.
Unless specifically stated, the inclusion of a Linked Website should not be construed as any endorsement, approval, recommendation or preference by us of the owners or operators of the Linked Website, or for any information, product or service referred to on the Linked Website.
Your visit to our Website
We may also collect and store information about your visit to the website, including:
- the name of the domain from which you accessed the internet;
- the date and time you accessed the website;
- the internet address of the website from which you linked directly to the website;
- the pages you accessed while visiting the website;
- the type of device from which you accessed the website; and
- the location from which you accessed the website.